Bread Week · Technical Challenge · The Beginnings (Season 2 BBC)

Double Bagel, Parte the Seconde

As promised, the second bagel batch was made today with more mixed results. The recipe used was from King Arthur Flour (hence the spelling…rather Tudor, but maybe we can pretend that Henry VIII’s older brother had actually become king prior to his death…but I digress) found here. It’s an easy enough recipe to follow, though I gave up on the machine for kneading the dough because it wasn’t “slapping”, but just getting rolled around the edge of the bowl, so I pulled it out and finished by hand.

Let it rise for about 90 minutes. I forgot to look at the clock when I started. It might have been only an hour.

I chopped up some fresh rosemary from my garden into tiny little bits…

And sprinkled it onto the dough that I flattened out a bit. I then folded it in, like you do with puff pastry. Fold it in half, squoosh it in, stretch out and fold in half again. Repeat.

I divided them into 72 gram blobs (be sure to weigh them after adding the seasoning and cheese)…

…then shaped them into rings, and placed them on the parchment to rise a bit while the water came to a boil.

While simmering, the rings puff up slightly–as you can see, 3 of them have been poached and 3 have not.

I got smart and pulled out the Chinese wok frying scooper thingy to get the bagels out of the hot water. It works MUCH better than the metal tongs that had a tendency to squash or tear the bread. A couple taps on the edge of the pan also helps get excess water off before placing it on the parchment.

I debated whether or not to salt the rings, so I salted about half of them. It does add a little punch to the flavor, so if you have coarse ground salt (not rock salt, like we had in the pantry), it would work really well. I was thinking about getting out the blender and blitzing the rock salt a bit, but went with the mortar and pestle instead. It mostly worked.

The directions said 425 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. I think it was a bit too hot since I checked on them at 20 minutes and they already looked over-done. They were a smidge darker than I was going for, but certainly not burnt or too tough.

The directions also didn’t specify brushing with egg. It would give it a nice shine, but I skipped it on this recipe.

Soft and perfectly seasoned…I could eat these all day.